Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Kendo with the Bateman's

While we were in Omaha, visiting with Michael, he showed us his Kendo gear. Michael and his two oldest girls are learning Kendo together. Kendo is an art of Japanese swordsmanship. Right now I think he's putting on the tare which is a waist protection.

The head and shoulder protection are called the "men" and the "do" is the chest protection.


Here he is all done with his protective armor on which is called the "bogu". The bamboo sword is called the shinai.


She gets in the first hit.

Does this look fair???

The only time you're allowed to hit your dad. I think they do it so they can get back at each other. They actually get in competitions and go as a family. I thought it was really interesting.
I learn something new every day.







2 comments:

LindsC said...

That is pretty interesting. I think that I should have done something like that with my dad :)

Brenny said...

Thatlooks intense! I guess that is one way to resolve arguments... :) Actually, I think it is neat that the whole family participates. Some families go boating together, some families shop together, some families Kendo.